Monday, January 17, 2011

Urban Spoon

Urban Spoon
207 Frazier Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37405
(423) 710-3252

We here at Chattacookery Industries don't do lunch out often, as you've probably noticed, so there are a number of luncheries in the downtown area that have escaped my "expertise." I had to make an exception for Urban Spoon, though, because every time I walk past all I can think about is how darn cute it is.

Urban Spoon, you are so gosh darn cute! Look at you!

Anyway, I stopped by for lunch and it really is a great little restaurant for gussied up Southern food, and now that they've extended their Friday and Saturday hours there's no excuse not to try it. The lunch service was friendly and brisk, which is a necessity on a workday, and the environment is casual. Many patrons were coming and going, but our food arrived quickly with little wait. Lunch entrees and salads average $8, desserts are $4, and it's a dry establishment. The menu includes a variety of Southern favorites (meatloaf, chicken and dumplings, BBQ pork) paired with unique sides, and all are prepared with a little twist. Combine that with creative decor and a cheerful disposition and this restaurant is right at home on Frazier.

The Meatloaf is fantastic. It's an entree a lot of restaurants sleep on, because expectations for this type of dish are generally rather low, but Urban Spoon offers up a hearty concoction that'll make mom jealous (sorry, mom), and loads it up with macaroni & cheese and green beans the way God intended.

The Smokey Beef Brisket has great flavor, the chili gravy is excellent and the collard greens and mashed potatoes are a great pairing, but I found the meat itself to be too chewy. I can't recommend it, unless you need the jaw exercise.

The toughness of the brisket aside, it was a real pleasure to eat well-prepared Southern food with flavorful, complimentary sides. A lot of small Southern restaurants tend to serve up sides as an afterthought (and with an ice cream scoop, to my great chagrin) and it's always nice to see traditional sides incorporated as an integral part of the meal rather than an aside. (See what I did there?)

The star of the show, however, was dessert. The Moonpie Banana Pudding called to me and I answered with vigor. Phenomenal! Homemade pudding and whipped cream with chunks of Moonpie hit the spot and it was, without question, one of the most fulfilling desserts I've gotten out in a while.

I definitely recommend Urban Spoon. I was sorry to see the Chattanooga Sandwich Company go, but I'm happy that a great eatery now resides there.

Urban Spoon on Urbanspoon

No comments: