Monday, May 21, 2012

Brewhaus

Brewhaus
224 Frazier Ave
Chattanooga, TN 37405
(423) 531-8490

Every now and then I make a mistake and something flies under my radar. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. I have no idea how I missed this place. I'm sorry. I mean that.

I'm digging Brewhaus for a few reasons, and not just because they serve liters. Is it like being in Bavaria? No, but that's okay. You want to be in Bavaria, go to Bavaria. Bring me back some mustard.

The menu features a good selection of snacks and entrees, most of which is traditional German fare with a modern American twist. The Rooster Schnitzel is my latest obsession (Fried egg on a breaded pork loin? Yes, please!) but Brewhaus serves up a fine, fine bratwurst that isn't to be overlooked. The beer prices are excellent and the list itself isn't too shabby: a decent selection of German bottles along with the obligatory microbrews (if you must). It could be better. I want stuff from breweries established in the stone age, stuff with 30-letter names that sprain my tongue when I try to pronounce them. This is the only time and place you will read me type, "Screw Fat Tire," but seriously--screw Fat Tire. I don't go to a place called 'Brewhaus' for a Sam Adams, either. The day I walk into this place and the draft board is nothing but German beers is the day I quit my job, make a little nest under one of the tables on the back deck, and drink myself into a coma. A beautiful hefe coma.

(Yes, they have a back deck.)

Service is touch and go. These guys are nice, but it's like Hair of the Dog--expect to hang around. Which is possibly intentional. After a few liters of beer you really shouldn't be going anywhere in a hurry, right?

The bad news? You've heard it before, no doubt--avoid the potato salad. Not sure what's going on there.

Brewhaus on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Mary said...

It's true. The potato salad is not worth ordering. Mine was at least 92.2% bacon. I hated it. HATED. IT. Loved the rooster schnitzel. And my friends thought the burgers were great.